Tuesday, September 27, 2011

Tri-Fusion Hot Summer Night 5K Series

Race Date: 8/24/11

This series entails three separate races on Wednesdays in August.  The first race I volunteered and took pictures.  Raelene (daughter) helped me direct people where to go.  Rosi and Reanna ran the race.  It was fun cheering people on right before the big hill.  The second race I ran it with Raelene (age 6) and Reanna, while Rosi ran it also.  I decided I would run the last race solo.  It helped to run the course the second week to get a grasp of the course and prepare myself for the BIG HILL before the finish line.
Raelene helping me direct traffic.  ;-)
I wanted to PR on my 5K since I had so much fitness from Ironman and I weighed less than the last time I ran a 5K.  My PR was 20:02 and I wanted to go sub 20.  I knew I had to hold a 6:25 per mile pace.  I generally use this race calculator to figure out how fast I need to go to hit a specific finish time.  I started out fast and tried to settle on my pace.  I talked with Matt Cantrell before the race and knew he had the same target of going sub 20.  I figured I could pace with him if I could.  Within the first half mile I was running near his side.  He kept a good pace going.  I looked forward and saw James and Worden way up ahead.  I knew I had to bank some time in the downhill to make up for the time I would lose on the big uphill.  Our pace picked up then we hit the corner right before the big hill.  Matt and I stayed close the whole race then on the hill I passed him.  Would I drop him?  Not!  Right when we got to the top he caught me and started to pass me at mile 3.  I sped up and had a kick at the end, but couldn't catch him.  I passed Worden in the last 25 yards and heard him yell, "NOOOOOOOOOO!".  I cracked  up about this as I know how competitive Eric is.  I ended up reaching my goal time!!  My official time was 19:32.07 with a pace of 6:18.1 per mile.


Details of the BIG HILL before the finish: 97 foot climb in .2 miles
Here is a video of race #2 in which I ran with Raelene. Thanks to Dave at Swim, Bike, Run videos for the footage!

No comments:

Post a Comment